Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Affirmation


I notice that a lot of my female friends go to either woman - heavy gyms or females only fitness centers.  Having been a member at several different gyms in the past several years, I can certainly understand the appeal.  I used to train at a fairly large gym, using mostly the circuit, though occasionally incorporating some free-weights.  It was, and is in many places, a daunting task to approach the free weight area of the gym; complete with sweaty, bulky dudes in muscle tees and their gallon jug of water, glaring at any girl who came too near to their pile of weights.

At one point, I was a member in a gym where the circuit was in a room I not-so-lovingly termed "the cave".  We were set apart from the rest of the gym, the "serious" trainers, and the men. 

Let's face it.  The gym can be a very intimidating place for a female trying to get her buff on.  Men don't always make it easy.  (Of course, this isn't ever situation or every gym.  I'm very lucky to be in a place where it's totally acceptable to power through some barbell squats in front of the dudes) 
Women, don't be intimidated.

We are truly capable of anything we set our minds to.  A little fear in the gym can't let us stop pushing forward and making progress; a lot of good can be done in the free weights.  Don't fear.

Being an easily intimidated female, I speak mostly to myself.  If I let something stand in my way of my own success then I am the only one to blame when I fail to meet my goals.  Look your fears in the eye, don't back down, don't take anyone's crap.  Be you, be strong, be confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment